Tuesday, April 13, 2010

President Obama Order To Kill American Al Qaeda Leader Is Just

I condemned Dick Cheney for secretly establishing a CIA assassination team that answered only to him. I wouldn't have had a problem with using a non-covert team to kill, if necessary, terrorist leaders who could not otherwise be brought to justice and whose guilt as a terrorist leader was supported by real evidence. President Obama has been accused of continuing the abuses committed by the Bush administration by authorizing the killing of Anwar al-Awlaki. Eliminating the enemy was never an issue for me. Planning to do so covertly in violation of US laws as Cheney did was an issue. President Obama is acting within the law. If the terrorist targeted for elimination believes that he is unjustly accused, then let him surrender to the US or its allies and prove his innocence in court. The battlefield, in my opinion, is wherever the terrorist is. I don't think Anwar al-Awlaki should be an exception because he holds a US citizenship. Timothy McVeigh was a citizen of the US but his killing would have been justified if he would not surrender and resisted arrest with deadly force. Since the US cannot safely arrest Anwar al-Awlaki and if he refuses to surrender, I believe his killing is justified.

1 comment:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I agree, it's justified and legitimate.